ransportation Info


What are the requirements?
What do I need?
How much work is involved?
How much does it pay?
What if I want to drive motor homes?

What are the requirements?

You cannot be younger then 25 years of age and you must have 4 years of related driving experience. Maximum age at the inception of the lease is 70 years old, and our insurance requirements demand that we end your lease at the age of 75. You must pass a Dept. of Transportation physical for a commercial driver (available from a local occupational clinic on a walk in basis). Drug screening is also required. You must have a driving record that meets the approval of our insurance company (maximum of 3 points in last 3 years, no DUI or "at fault" accidents within last 7 years) and your driver's license must be of the appropriate classification to operate the equipment you are driving. A CDL class "A" is encouraged. You must have driving experience that includes the operation of large vehicles, such as travel trailers, fifth wheel travel trailers, motor homes, or trucks, and you must be willing to drive in all parts of the US and Canada.

You should have a bank account with ATM card access and a Visa Card or Master Card with a credit limit large enough to get you out of an emergency situation. We do not make loans or advances.

You must be neat about your personal grooming habits. Suit & Tie is not required. Shorts & tank tops not permitted at dealerships. When you drive onto a dealer's lot, you represent our company and the manufacturer. You must be a concerned listener when you are at the dealer's place of business and conduct yourself in a professional manner. Short tempered, impatient people need not apply.

Where you live is not a factor to us, but you may find it more convenient if you live within a few hours drive of our terminal. Many of our contractors bring their own RV to the area and "camp" at one of the local RV parks.

What do I need?

Your pick-up must be three-quarter or one ton rated, and preferably not more then five years old. A turbo charged diesel engine is the most economical (we will not lease a non-turbo charged diesel). Four-wheel drive may be a benefit in some climates and dual rear wheels may be helpful for some loads. Your Pick-up must have a minimum 96-inch bed length.

You must have a fifth-wheel hitch with a minimum load rating of 14,000 pounds (no cross bed, wheel well mount). You need a 2 x 2 receiver hitch rated at 10,000 pounds, with a solid shank ball mount and load equalizing torsion bars, all rated at 10,000 pounds. The ball height (measured from the ground to the top of the ball) must not exceed 19 inches. An adjustable height ball mount is useful on some trucks. You need a ball that is two and five sixteenths inches in diameter, rated at 10,000 pounds. You should also carry a hollow shank (5,000 lb. rated) set up with a two-inch ball. A "goose neck" hitch is strongly recommended, and will allow you to pull equipment trailers, etc. and is most often used in back haul situations. With these four hitches, you will be able to pull just about everything we run into.

You need an electric brake controller suitable for towing a trailer with six brakes. You need a seven wire "Bargeman" (female side) RV style electrical connector in the truck bed for the fifth wheel units, and a connector near the ball mount for travel trailers. You must have 102" wide towing mirrors, and big sturdy mud flaps mounted to hang about four inches above the ground. An extra large fuel tank is good to have (maximum of 110 gallon, and must have six way electric valve) and a toolbox for your jack and other emergency items, like wheel changing tools. You will need a Standard Group 24 RV battery for the hydraulic jacks on some units and for the trailer break away switch..

If you choose to run a tailgate, it must be the "V" gate type. Leave your stock tailgate at home. It is handy to have a good quality CB. If you have a "cross-bed" toolbox that sits above the body of the pick-up, leave it at home. There must be 54 inches of clearance in front of the fifth wheel kingpin. Anything that extends above the bed of the pick-up within this area, including a rear window spoiler, tool box or roll bar/headache bar, will interfere with the towing of a fifth wheel unit and you will be required to remove them before being dispatched.

Your pick-up must have a current annual D.O.T. safety inspection. The inspection is available at several vendors in our area, and at most truck repair facilities. To pass inspection, your truck must be equipped with a fire extinguisher and carry red reflective triangles. The cost of the inspection at shops in our area is $25.00. Some shops do a free inspection with an oil change.

It would be in your best interest to obtain a copy of the booklet "FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS", and be familiar with the rules and regulations of the "Department of Transportation". It is true that we fall into a gray area for some of the regulations, but you must keep a record of your driving hours, and many of the other rules also apply to us, and to you. You will receive a free copy of the FMCSR when you lease on with us.

We require a Bond Deposit of $1,000.00 to help cover damage that you may be responsible for. We ask that you deposit $500.00 when you sign the lease, and the remaining $500.00 will be debited from your settlements at $25.00 per paycheck. This is your money, and assuming there are no outstanding claims, will be refunded to you within forty-five days of written notice that you are ending your lease with us, as prescribed by the D.O.T. If you terminate the lease agreement within the first ninety days of your sign-on date, your final settlement will incur a debit of $250.00.

You will need money to operate on for the first few weeks of your lease. We are on a weekly payroll system (Friday is payday), but it depends on your drop day and when you return the paperwork, as to the exact Friday. About $500.00 is sufficient to get you started and tide you over until you start getting a check each week. We don't do advances, but we will work with you to get you "up and running". If you get short of funds, please come in and see us. We will ask you to turn in one completed trip, and we will pay you for that trip ahead of schedule.

We are asking each of our contractors to carry a cellular telephone, or nationwide pager. As our connected load program develops, it is in your best interest that we are able to communicate with you on the road. Also, your family will enjoy the peace of mind knowing that they will be able to reach you in case of an emergency.

How much work is involved?

Work Involved: Lots of driving time. You can calculate the hours involved running a 500-mile delivery. Drivers are required to inspect the exterior of the units before transporting them, and must wash the units before delivery (this is not a detail wash, and we pay you $20.00 to wash the unit). If you have a flat tire on the trailer, you will need to change the wheel. You need to be knowledgeable about such things as tires and wheels, and the tools needed to service them. Some "mechanical" experience is very helpful.

How much does it pay?

The truck will earn 99 to 107 cents per loaded mile (plus Safety Bonus). There are variables, known in advance, which will affect the rate of pay. An example is trailers over 40 feet in length, which usually pay at a higher rate, and there may be special circumstances where the mileage pay is greater. There are also trips that will pay on a flat rate, and/or “percentage of outbound rate”. An example is when we bring a unit back to the factory for warranty repairs, or because delivery was refused for some reason. On most return loads, and other “back-haul” loads, the mileage revenue is shared, with 80% of the mileage revenue paid to the truck.

For all trips, the mileage figures are based on “PC Miler”, (Practical Routing, not the shortest route) and are actual miles calculated from address to address. We will reimburse you for loaded tolls (for the NE, tolls are paid for the round trip) and other approved fee’s while under load, assuming you are routed over a toll way.

A few simple calculations to determine the cost per-mile of operation will allow you to arrive at a net earnings per-hour. Using our company averages since 1992, we have found that most Contractors will earn approximately $14 to $17.00 per hour for all of their driving time, regardless of whether they are loaded or empty. Our Contractors that wish to optimize their earning potential will earn about $1,400 - $1,800 per week, gross. Less work of course, means you will earn less money. The holiday season greatly affects the sales and production of recreational vehicles, and there may be other seasonal and economic slow downs. We do not attempt to deliver units in a blizzard or other hazardous road conditions, such as high winds, icy roads, heavy snow or thick fog.

From your "gross" earnings, you pay for your own fuel & maintenance, and the “non-trucking” insurance on your truck. RV Transport will pay for the cargo insurance, and RV Transport will also pay for the $750,000.00 liability insurance policy required by the D.O.T. No taxes are withheld from your earnings. We issue a Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year. You can probably bank about 70% - 75% of your earnings, depending on the age of your truck, and the type of engine it has. If you can average 14-15 MPG and do some of your own maintenance, you should not have any problem making money doing this work.

What if I want to drive motorhomes?

At the time of this writing (February 2006), we are not hiring dedicated motor home drivers. We do get a few request for motorized drive-away, and we attempt to fill the work need of our "teams" that want to pull a trailer and drive a motor home. Motor home drivers earn about 58 cents per mile (rate will vary with fuel prices), and must meet all the licensing and D.O.T. requirements of our pick-up drivers.

Getting Started

What should I do now?
Fill out the application and send it to us. We will review each application and call you. If you do not hear from us in a week or so, give us a call. Your application may not have reached us.

Please make sure the application is filled out completely, including address and phone number of former employers. If you are retired, show previous employers and date of retirement. The D.O.T. requires a 10-year history on your application.

Don't forget to fill out the "Request for Information" form.

Our Phone number is 800-575-3386
Our Fax number is: 260-593-3591
Our e-mail is "info@rvtransport.com"

What do I need to bring?
You will need to bring the following items with you for your interview; all of your documents must be current:

  • Drivers License
  • MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) from the same state your drivers license was issued from. Also known as "driving record").
  • Truck Registration.
  • Truck Insurance certificate.
  • D.O.T medical exam and drug screening (this can be done at a clinic near our office, on a walk in basis).
  • Social Security Card.
  • Passport
  • D.O.T. inspection on the truck (this can be done at a facility near our office).